Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - John Cotton Dana

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Blog Post 1

Hey, everyone! My name is Kristan Steele. I am 21 years old and a junior at The University of South Alabama and studying Elementary and Special Education. I am very excited to learn more about the world of education. I also plan to become certified to teach Pre-K. I am planning to graduate in December of 2012. May I add, that day cannot arrive soon enough. Nursing School is what brought me to Mobile, AL. Prior to moving to Mobile, I worked at Straughn Middle School in Andalusia, AL, where I was heavily involved with teaching the Extended Day Program. I fell in love with the students, the school, my boss, and my co-workers. I'm a tiny girl, so most of my students were just as tall if not taller than me, so that was something I was ragged about by my students, but all in fun. Anyways, after two semesters in Nursing School, I just knew that my heart was not in it, so here I am in the wonderful College of Education. Middle school was a joy to teach, but I feel I will do better with younger (and smaller) students.

I was born and raised in the small town of Andalusia, AL. Andalusia is located about two hours from Mobile. I graduated in 2008 along with 76 other classmates from Straughn High School. I miss small town life and grow homesick fairly often. Driving across "town" took five minutes, and I knew nearly every face I seen. Culture shock was experienced after arriving in Mobile; however, I do love having shopping centers near by.  It is a funny thing really...while growing up, my friends and I could not wait to get out of Andalusia, but now we cannot wait to get back.

Although the majority of my time is dedicated to school, in free time I like to head home and spend time with my family. My family is rather large. We have dinner together every Sunday, and you are in trouble if you miss it. My mom and step-dad are Terri and Todd Watson. I will never be able to repay them for the love, wisdom, and support they have given me. I have two brothers, PK Steele (18) and TJ Watson (3). TJ will be turning 4 on Valentine's Day and I am excited to go home and celebrate. I also have a twin sister named Kathrine Steele. I have 12 cousins, who are all a year apart. My poor grandmother cannot catch a break. She finally gets over sobbing about one graduation, then here comes another. God has truly blessed my life with a great family, friends, teachers, and mentors. I too aspire to be a great daughter, sister, friend, and someday a great mother, wife, teacher, and mentor as well.
Kristan Steele and twin sister Kathrine Steele
My sister and I (I'm on the right)
Kristan Steele's two brothers, PK Steele and TJ Watson
My brothers, TJ and PK
Here are a few more random things about me... I am a huge Alabama Crimson Tide football fan. Fall is my favorite time of year simply because it is football season. I really love all sports. I cheered, played softball, and took gymnastics in high school. Cheering is my passion. I know the sport inside and out and lived and breathed it for many years. I actually coach cheerleading when I can. I have volunteered several times as a pee-wee league coach, I have instructed the middle school's summer cheer-camp, and had a cheer/dance class in the EDP program. I had planned to cheer in college, but an ankle injury my senior year ruined those plans. I would love to become a cheer sponsor someday on the side. Anyways, enough with the cheering. I love to dance. I try to go running on a daily basis. I love rock music and despise country. Something about how every song is about "your boyfriend is cheating, your dog died, you're drinking yourself to death, your wife left, and she took the truck and doesn't know you love her" just irks and depresses me, but that is just my opinion. My favorite color is yellow and my favorite flower is the daisy. I could eat spaghetti every day. My new years resolution is to make healthier food choices...we'll see how long that last. I guess that is enough about me for now. I hope you enjoy my blog!

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." -Thomas Jefferson 

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have added edm310comments@gmail.com in my settings and now making another post to make sure most email accounts are notified.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great first post! I can tell you will do great in this class, you already are ahead! I look forward to your other posts to come. This is a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog. It makes me want to do more work on mine. You are definitely ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kristan I just realized that you are from Andalusia. My whole family is from there. My parents, many aunts and uncles, and cousins graduated from Straughn High School. I thought that was amazing. It is a small world.I miss going there to visit as a child. It was an escape from the busy life here in Mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our families probably know one another! My mother asks for names? What a small world it is. Andalusia is such a wonderful escape from Mobile, until you want to actually do something haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristan! I've been assigned your blog to comment on this week. You've got some really neat stuff in your more recent blogs they're making me want to go work more on my own. It's great that you've chosen a profession that will allow you to incorporate your passion for cheer. It seems like that would also help you incorporate movement into your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristan, Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Where do I start with names? Oh Gosh! My dad was Danny Black (he passed away this past April),my mom is Gail Harrelson Black. My dad has some brothers and sisters. Their names are Billy Black, Patricia Black Jones,Karen Black Weeks, and Angie Black Davis. My aunt Patricia owns her own tax office in Sanford. It's Patricia Jones Tax Service. My cousins are Misty and Jeremy Jones,Jason Norris,and Eric Tisdale. Sorry for the long list. There are probably lots more that I can't think of right now.

    ReplyDelete