Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - John Cotton Dana

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blog Post 5

Eagles' Nest Radio & Class Blog 
Rome
This website contains podcasts made by 3rd graders. Their podcasts are about topics the students are covering in class and things kids "NEED TO KNOW." At first, I felt a little surprised these children are so young and using technology in this way. At second thought, this is brilliant! Kids are learning at younger ages the importance of technology in our society. My brother, who is 4 years old as of February 14, knows how to play games on a computer and loves having our mom send us messages on Facebook.

I listened to All Roads Lead to Rome. These students are precious and sound so professional! You can tell they definitely rehearsed. Not only is having the kids make podcasts teaching them how to use technology, but they are more engaged in the material being taught, and practicing their collaboration and literacy skills. This class seems like a lot of fun. I only wish my 3rd grade class could have been this enjoyable. I am now looking more forward to recording my podcast later this week.


iPhone Podcast
100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn Better
This site is very helpful. I have had an iPod touch for 2 years and learn something new every time I use it. Now I know even more! I love finding new apps to play with and learn. The link Learning Podcasting was also helpful. I found that 63 Podcasting Plus provides more information about podcasting. And, link 65 iPod in the Classroom gives lesson plans that teachers who want to incorporate iPods into their classrooms can use.



PodcastEducation Podcasting Network 
I was overwhelmed with the amount of information on podcasting at first glance. EPN can be a very useful source for teachers in the 21st century. This site tells you what a podcasts is, how to find a podcasts, and how to subscribe to podcasts programs. You can also suggest a podcasts. Podcasts are available for viewing and are sorted by: students, classes, grade level, and subject. This makes it very easy to narrow down your search. Of all the links provided in Blog Post 5 Assignment (Yes, I viewed them all), I found EPN to be the most resourceful. I believe all teachers and future teachers should have this one bookmarked.



Boy drinking from a fire hydrantGetting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant. -Mitchell Kapor


This quote made me laugh when I read it, for the obvious reason...a hydrant blasting in someone's face. It also made me think, "Good Lord who loves me, there is a ton of information out there!" 

2 comments:

  1. Your 4 year old brother uses Facebook? A new record!

    Are you ready to join Travis Allen in his iSchool Initiative?

    " I believe all teachers and future teachers should have this one bookmarked." And use it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He can't type (unless you take the time to point out each key), but mom lets him move the mouse and click. He understands that is a way she communicates with us. He does have several video games he can work by himself though. It impresses me!

    I am most definitely ready to join the iSchool Initiative!

    ReplyDelete