Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - John Cotton Dana

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blog Post 3

"A Vision of Students today." -Michael Wesch

This picture is of a boy hugging a computer.

A Vision of Students Today was created by Michael Wesch and a group of Kansas State University students. They depict  the characteristics of college students: how much time they spending reading, on the internet, eating, how much debt that have...etc.

This video captures my college experience in more ways than one. I definitely felt bewildered upon entering a college class for the first time. I walked into a nursing class containing 120 students. It was a bit overwhelming. At the College of Education, class sizes are a little smaller and more traditional. I run to the bookstore and buy several books costing me hundreds of dollars, to only open some. I do, however, complete all readings assigned to me. I feel the teachers would not have assigned them it if they were not important. I sleep seven or less hours a night. The majority of my free time is spent on the internet, a lot of it on Facebook. If I need information, I usually go straight to Google. I use e-mail on a daily basis. I search the web (not my book) on a daily basis. As I get older, it becomes increasingly harder to pay attention to boring lectures. Lessons on chalkboards are missing pictures, videos, animations, networking, and do not capture students attention. I am most definitely a multi-tasker. I would also have to say that nearly ALL of my college professors have known my name and face.

To make this video more accurately represent "my" college life, the video would begin by a girl waking up at 6:00am to get ready for school. She grabs anything she can find in the cabinets, such as a poptart, then out the door she goes. She then would have make her way through this Mobile traffic and arrive at the College of Education and The University of South Alabama by 7:45am. She sits during lecture after lecture, taking notes, making reminders in her planner, and trying her hardest to not fall asleep or think about how hungry she is. She then leaves class and goes straight to the gym, where maybe two hours are spent. Arriving home, she goes straight to her computer and begins checking g-mail, Facebook, class blogs, Jaguar1 e-mail, and USA online; she responds to all mail. She then prepares another quick meal, turns on her ipod, then spends the rest of the day doing homework. After several hours, she quits to cook supper, then its back to work. She does not quit to go to bed until ALL activities, homework, and other projects that had been planned (in the planner) for that day are complete. She cleans her room and kitchen back up, calls her mom to tell her she loves her, then crashes into her comfy bed after setting her alarm for 6:00am. (This is my 'typical' day in a nutshell.)



"It's Not About the Technology" -Kelly Hines
It's Not About the Technology was written by Kelly Hines. Her post is about how she strongly believes that learning in the 21st century is not about the technology. When people begin to think of what the future holds, what students will need to learn, what will be needed in order to teach, technology is what comes to mind. Ms. Hines believes that everyone, including teachers, will need a new mindset. She states four things teachers must realize to be successful in teaching a new generation.

"1. Teachers must be learners." I do not think that could be stated any clearer. Teacher must be dedicated to their profession. They must keep up with new research, new trends, new tools and resources. Teachers must constantly be changing methods and learning new things in order to continue teaching various groups. This could also show children the importance of self-teaching. What kind of role-model would you be in you, yourself were not willing let go of set ways and learn something new.

"2. Learning and Teaching are not the same thing." Ms. Hines physics example was well put. It basically means, if a student has not learned, then you have not taught. Learning must be the goal for each day. If one method is not working, try another. Learning experience is different for each student.

"3. Technology is useless without good teaching." When teachers are not willing to give technology a chance and be creative, then money spent for innovative tools will be a waste. However, for teachers that are innovative, the right resources allows them so many possibilities. I will be an innovative teacher. Technology can be used for so much more than just typing papers. Let me just say...our kids are growing up curious about technology and live in a world ran off of technology. Our students are not going to be overwhelmed by technology, but maybe disappointed and less engaged if it is not being used. Would it hurt to learn together?

"4. Be a 21st Century teacher without the technology." Teachers who teach their students to be critical thinkers, problem solvers, curious, innovative, and learners will set their students up for success. With those skills, they should be prepared for whatever is to come in the future. Technology is not necessarily needed to teach these things. If the resources are not available, it will take a little more creativity. However, there is a whole world out there to be explored and with technology and a good teacher, again, the possibilities are endless.



"Is It Okay to Be A Technologically Illiterate Teacher" -Karl Fisch
This is the picture of a question mark.
I'm really glad Mr. Fisch's Post was assigned to our class. I would like to say I agree with Mr. Fisch 100%, but maybe more like 90%. I have a few concerns. I consider myself to be "technologically literate." I would say there are many more technology savvy people in the world than myself, yes. I can use word processors, make power points, videos, e-mail, photo shop...etc. If there is a new technology out that I have no experience, I know how to find information and tutorials on it, and I am not against asking for help. (Is that not what we "drill" into students' heads...to ask for help?) I think me having to ask does not make me technologically illiterate. I also grew up viewing nothing more but PowerPoint (poor school) and I do not believe I was cheated out of a good education by no means. Technology is not needed in order to think or think critically.

I agree with Mr. Fisch in the sense that technology is not an "add-on" it is a part of everyday life. This is the 21st century, and no matter what degree someone attends school for, technology is needed in order to get it and to succeed at it. Teachers that refuse to accept change and learn new things are setting a bad example for their students. How can they promote learning when they are not learners themselves? These teachers should be concerned about meeting the needs of their students and not be set in their "old" ways.

I loved Mr. Fisch passion. I believe we need more educators in our society that are passionate about their profession. I would like to thank him for sharing his thoughts, wisdom, and experience. I know other aspiring teachers along with myself were confronted with a lot to think about.


"Gary Hayse Social Media Count"


These numbers just blow my mind. I think this is proof at how technology spreads like a wild fire. The numbers for social networking continue to expand. As a teacher, this shows us that our tools for the classroom and the tools our students use will be ever changing. I would also suspect they are more curious about the world around them, why not connect them with a classroom across the ocean or the states? We must be learners and willing to evolve as technology evolves. (And as we see, that is fairly often!)



A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.  -Horace Mann
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. "...if a student has not learned, then you have not taught." Do you really buy this argument? I have 19 students in EDM310 that after 4 weeks have not done a single assignment. Not one! And I have a half dozen more that have done only the Wordle or a single blog post? How responsible am I for their behavior? For their not learning? That's their problem, not mine. I see my responsibility as preparing a course with the opportunity to learn. Most students take advantage of those opportunities. Others don't. I can't see how I am responsible for those who choose not to learn. You probably have read, or heard me say, that a year ago one student told me "Dr. Strange, this course really bothers me. I just want you to teach me so I don't have to learn." Her exact words. I can't honor that request!

    " Our students are not going to be overwhelmed by technology, but maybe disappointed and less engaged if it is not being used." I am certain you can safely remove maybe from this sentence!

    ReplyDelete