Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - John Cotton Dana

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Blog Post 9

"What I've Learned This Year" -Mr. McClung
Wise People Never Stop Learning on green background
In May of 2009, Mr. McClung completed his first year as an elementary school teacher. As a first year teacher, Mr. McClung says he was young and inexperienced (as most of us will be) so he decided to reflect on that year and share what all he had learned. His thoughts are:
1. Learn how to read the crowd. Mr. McClung experienced what I think most first year teachers would experience, and that is feeling nervous about his superiors observing him. He claims he would lose touch with his students while delivering his lessons because he was not focusing on his students' comprehension, he was focused on himself. "In order to be effective, you have to be able to let your audience drive your instruction." I completely agree with this. Lesson should be student-centered, and their comprehension is key.
2. Be flexible. Mr. Mclung states, "No lesson is ever perfect. The lesson you teach and the lesson you plan are always different." This makes me feel 98% better about my first year of teaching because I am a perfectionist. I think I would definitely be the one to beat myself up over a lesson not going as planned, especially if that day happens to be one I am being observed. I think I will be nervous regardless of the preparation I have before entering the classroom, but this has made me feel better.
3. Communicate. Communication is they key to anything in my opinion: a relationship with co-workers, a personal relationship, a student-teacher relationship, a parent-teacher relationship..etc. Talking out issues is definitely best, rather than letting tension build. I also agree with Mr. McClung that communication skills are one of the hardest skills to develop. I feel that is because sometimes you have trouble reading people and also cautious as how you appear to them. Communication skills develop as you learn more about someone. I believe it is something you just have to do regardless of the awkwardness at first, and let the relationship grow.
4. Be reasonable. Mr McClung says to not set expectations and goals too high for students because it only allows for disappointment for the students along with disappointment to yourself. I definitely don't think a child should be "scolded" for failing or not achieving their max potential. You should encourage them to try again. With that being said, what is their max potential? I don't believe you can learn that without setting the bar high and continuously setting it high. If a student thinks they are doing the best work, they won't try harder. If a student thinks they are a failure, they will also never reach those goals. It is best to keep encouraging all students and all set high expectations. (Let me get off my little soapbox...)
5. Don't be afraid of technology. I think some adults in today's society think computers are taking over the world and going to run us one day. I like to point out that technology is man-made tools that are to assist us, whether is be for speed, for cooking, for documents, for communication...whatever. Technology is essential for living in our society and it is important that not only we use it, but we also teach our students how to use it so that they, too, may become productive citizens.
6. Listen to your students. "You may be the only person that does." That is so true. It is important to build a student-teacher relationship and know the students in your classroom. Let them know you care about their well-being, their feelings, their schoolwork, their future...everything. They should feel comfortable.
7. Never stop learning. It is important for an educator to continue learning throughout their career. How are you supposed to teach a student to become a life-long learner if you are not willing to do the same. Set an example for your students.

I am very happy this was assigned to our class. It makes me feel better about my years to come. I love having insight from those with more experience than myself! At The Teacher's Desk is definitely being added to my PLN!

You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.  -Clay P. Bedford

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kristan,

    I think you and many others will be realived to know that each lesson will always change. I am "semi-perfectionist" so I know that if things don't work right for me, there might be a catastrophe! Just be FLEXIBLE.

    I also think communication is key to a good career. That is what we teach in this class. We want you and everyone else to learn all the different ways you can communicate.

    You said: "I definitely don't think a child should be "scolded" for failing or not achieving their max potential." I 100% agree with you. Many teachers set to high of expectations for students and it ends up really hurting them and making them discouraged. This is not what I think a teacher should want to do.

    Good post Kristan,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kristan,

    I completely agree with you that children should not be scolded when they are failing of not meeting their maximum potential. I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement. You are right that if students feel that their work does not need improvement then they will discontinue trying harder on their next assignment. This is true in the other aspect that if they feel that their work will never be good enough, then what is the point of trying? This was a great example of why we should be reasonable as teachers. If we push the students too hard in either direction, they will shut down.

    My favorite part of Mr. McClung’s blog post was between being reasonable and never stop learning. I don’t believe that teachers have all of the answers. I know that I cannot answer every question that my students have, but I can guarantee that I will do whatever it takes to find it and help them to find it as well. We should be up to date with new material just as much as we are with the classics.

    This is why I loved how you incorporated a quote at the end of your blog post! It is very “if you teach a man to fish…” which the same general concept is. I love how Clay Bedford put the focus towards learning by creativity. When we provoke curiosity, then students will have the want to learn more. Great post!

    -Jessica Brown

    ReplyDelete