Who dares to teach must never cease to learn. -John Cotton Dana

"Who dares to teach must never cease to learn." - John Cotton Dana

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blog Post 14

Metaphor Comic
Metaphors
1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?


Although I somehow completely missed posting about Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home, I most definitely read it. I knew Mr. Spencer's post was about computers from the very beginning. I think it was a combination of reading post about it from previous semesters and these sentences, "Schools in low-income areas often have students who come in with a mentality that pencils are to be used for entertainment.  Their parents don't use pencils in their factory jobs and don't have experience using pencils in schools." He also mentions "networks." Surely, one would realize that their parents would have used pencils in school (right?). It would also make no sense for the students to "go on pen pal networks" if he were not referring to computers. I think anyone who did not realize he was speaking of computers simply did not read carefully.



2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?



I have encountered many metaphors since this assignment was assigned. I believe most of us encounter and use metaphors in our daily life, we just don't realize it. Metaphors I have came across include:
  • "You hit the nail on the head."
  • "You're the apple of my eye." (My mom's reference to my baby brother.)
  • "Don't put it on the backburner." 
  • "The ball is in your court."
  • "You better batten down the hatches."
  • "Don't bite off more than you can chew."
  • "I had to bite the bullet."
  • "Blood is thicker than water."
  • "I have a bone to pick with you." 
  • "I'm as busy as a bee."
  • "You opened a can of worms."
  • "Don't put all of your eggs in one basket."
  • "He's throwing gas." (My boyfriends favorite description of a baseball pitcher throwing fast.)
  • "....is like a fish out of water"
  • "It's as good as gold"
  • "Bury the hatchet."
  • "She has too many irons in the fire."
  • "They jumped on the bandwagon."
  • "Don't make a mountain out of a molehill." 
  • "Nip it in the bud."
  • "...the skin of your teeth" 
So 99% of those metaphors I heard from my mom. Most came from her lectures to my 18 year old brother. (Don't all parents just love those teenage years?) 



3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?


I think teaching metaphors is like teaching a child how to ride a bicycle. We should show them how they are used, guide them through several and their true meanings. Then, have them start making up their own. Kids are good with things like, "My _____ is as big as an elephant!" Eventually, they will learn how they are used and their recognition of them will grow as their reading level improves (hopefully). We could also make metaphors mandatory in writing assignments. 



4. Why do we use metaphors?



I think metaphors bring a person's thoughts to life. You are able to create an image in your head. For example, if someone says to not make a mountain out of a molehill...you understand they are saying to not make a big deal out of nothing,  

No comments:

Post a Comment